Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I did the best job I could: Indian cricket team coach Greg Chappell

London: Indian cricket team coach Greg Chappell said on Monday that he did his job in the best possible manner and that the side's failure to execute the plans was responsible for the debacle in the World Cup.

"I'm happy that I've done the best job I could do, and so did the coaching staff and support staff. The planning was good, the preparation was good, but the execution on the day was not," he was quoted as saying by BBC Sport.

"India haven't won an overseas tournament since 1985. There are obviously some reasons, but I'm not prepared to go into them at this stage," Chappell said.

The Australian admitted that he was partially responsible for India's fiasco at the World Cup.

"Obviously I am happy to take some responsibility - I am the coach. But I don't think the coaching staff alone should be blamed for what's happened here," he said.

Chappell said he would not single out any individual for the poor performance of the Indian team in the mega event.

"There's nothing more to say than, 'We didn't play well enough'. We didn't perform when the time came, that's the long and the short of it," he said.

No comments:

Look At That

Your Ad Here